Top 10 Most Expensive Football Transfers
Compared to the lion that was the summer of 2009, when we saw Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic move to pastures anew for a combined fee of more than £200m, it would seem appropriate to consider the 2010 summer transfer season, and for that matter, most others, a veritable lamb, unless you’re Manchester City.
However, even with the financial constraints, self-imposed or otherwise, that kept many of the usual suspects from spending above and beyond, summer 2010 was far from bereft of big-name and big-money moves and high drama.
In the end though, there wasn’t much of a shakeup in the list of the top 10 most expensive transfers ever. The lone name that was added to the list was David Villa, who moved from Valencia to Barcelona for £34.2m, which gives Barca their second entrant in the rankings. One can only hope that Villa doesn’t meet the same fate as their other entrant, but only time will tell.
Below is the updated list.
Top 10 Overall Transfers
- 1. Cristiano Ronaldo: Manchester United to Real Madrid – £80m (2009)
- 2. Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Inter Milan to Barcelona – £60.7m (2009)
- 3. Kaka: AC Milan to Real Madrid – £56m (2009)
- 4. Fernando Torres: Liverpool to Chelsea – £50m (2011) NEW!
- 5. Zinedine Zidane: Juventus to Real Madrid – £45.62m (2001)
- 6. Luis Figo: Barcelona to Real Madrid – £37m (2000)
- 7. Javier Pastore: Palermo to Paris Saint-Germain – £36.7m (2011) NEW!
- 8. Hernan Crespo: Parma to Lazio – £35.5m (2000)
- 9. Radamel Falcao: FC Porto to Atletico Madrid – £35.2m (2011) NEW!
- t10. Sergio Aguero: Atletico Madrid to Manchester City – £35m (2011) NEW!
- t10. Andy Carroll: Newcastle United to Liverpool – £35m (2011)
Bumped from the top 10:9. David Villa: Valencia to Barcelona – £34.2m (2010), 10. Gianluigi Buffon: Parma to Juventus – £32.6m (2001)
Top 10 Premier League Transfers
- 1. Fernando Torres: Liverpool to Chelsea – £50m (2011)
- t2. Sergio Aguero: Atletico Madrid to Manchester City – £35m (2011)
- t2. Andy Carroll: Newcastle United to Liverpool – £35m (2011)
- 4. Robinho: Real Madrid to Manchester City – £32.5m (2008)
- 5. Andriy Shevchenko: AC Milan to Chelsea – £30.8m (2006)
- 6. Dimitar Berbatov: Tottenham to Manchester United – £30.75m (2008)
- 7. Rio Ferdinand: Leeds to Manchester United – £29.1m (2002)
- 8. Juan Sebastian Veron: Lazio to Manchester United – £28.1m (2001)
- 9. Edin Dzeko: Wolfsburg to Manchester City – £27m (2011)
- 10. Wayne Rooney: Everton to Manchester United – £25.6m (2004)
Missed the Cut: Samir Nasri: Arsenal to Manchester City – £25m (2011), Juan Mata: Valencia to Chelsea – £23.5m (2011)
Bumped from the top 10:10. Didier Drogba: Marseille to Chelsea – £24m (2004), Michael Essien: Lyon to Chelsea – £24.43m (2005), James Milner: Aston Villa to Manchester City – £24m (2010), David Silva: Valencia to Manchester City – £24m (2010), Yaya Toure: Barcelona to Manchester City – £24m (2010), Darren Bent: Sunderland to Aston Villa – £24m (2011)
This page was last updated on 6 September 2011.