Bayern Munich to distance themselves for Roma's Mehdi Benatia
Readers of Soccerlens would very well appreciate how we have covered the transfer situation regarding Roma’s Mehdi Benatia right throughout the summer. The Moroccan has been the subject of interest from Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and Bayern Munich in the transfer window and its still not known where will be the defender’s next destination.
Let me sum up the transfer saga regarding Benatia in the following points:
- The 27 year old claims he wants to leave Roma to pursue his career in the highest echelons of European football with greener pastures awaiting in Barcelona.
- The Catalan club are interested in the player but pull out after Roma’s astronomical demands of €35m for the 27 year old. Barcelona later sign Jeremy Mathieu (from Valencia) and Thomas Vermaelen from Arsenal (Manchester United target)
- In June Bayern have a €33m bid rejected by Roma, the Wolves claim that the player is not for sale. Benatia however fancies a move to London with Chelsea interested
- Manchester City open to sign the player but wait for Porto’s Eliaquim Mangala, the Citizens sign the Frenchman for £32m
- Chelsea now in pole position to sign Benatia but Forza Roma add a fresh twist claiming that Manchester United are also interested
- Jose Mourinho now claims the Stamford Bridge side are not looking to sign Benatia
- Benatia’s agent Moussa Sissoko now claims that his client wants to stay at the Italian capital and is set to hold talks with the club for a new contract.
- Bayern Munich set to bid again after Javi Martinez is out with a long term injury.
However, there are contrasting views in the Italian Media about the player. TMW and Football Italia have on side claimed that Benatia had earlier arrived at Trigoria for what is likely to be his last training session for the Giallorossi. Tuttosport then cite German daily Bild that the move is on the verge of collapse as Roma aren’t willing to lower their asking price of €35m.
Moreover Benatia has also demanded wages worth around €8m a year in his five year contract. Thus in total Bayern would have to bear a whooping €75m for the defender. The deal is now on the verge of collapse as the German Champions are now looking for Atletic Bilbao’s Iturraspe, the report which has come out on Bild, but surprisingly been cited again by TMW.
This comes as a major boost for Manchester United who need to plug their defensive frailties after Patrice Evra, Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand all leaving the club at the end of last season. The Red Devils have a sizeable transfer kitty this summer. Will Van Gaal splash the cash?
Football Expert? Prove it! Share your knowledge, tips and comments. Win cash prizes - £11,000 monthly! Join OLBG's free-to-enter tipping competition.