Chelsea and Liverpool midfield target ‘made available’ by Spanish giants?
The saga of Xabi Alonso may have taken a decisive turn, with ‘The Daily Express‘ claiming that Real Madrid have made the Spanish playmaker available this January.
The former Liverpool midfielder’s contract at the Bernabéu expires at the end of the current season, and despite the efforts of ‘Los Blancos’ to tie the 32-year-old down with an extension, the signs are now pointing towards a winter exit.
Chelsea have been strongly linked with a move these last couple of months, with the Blues short of central midfield options, with only Ramires, Mikel and Frank Lampard currently available to choose from.
The Spaniard, who is currently sidelined with a bizarre ear injury (reported by Marca), is also a target for Liverpool, with Spanish radio station ‘Caneda Ser’ claiming Alonso’s next career move would be based on his personal preference, rather than sporting or economic reasons.
The Express’ report qualifies the Xabi Alonso rumour as a ‘Plan B’ situation for Chelsea, with talks ongoing between the Blues and Inter Milan over first choice target Fredy Guarin.
“Guarin is an Inter player and we are happy to keep him,” Ausilio told Sky Sport Italia on Monday,
“Denying the contacts with Chelsea would be denying the evidence. It is a source of pride to talk with them about one of our players, but everything stops there.
“We are happy Guarin could stay with us a long time. He’s an important player.”
The Nerazzurri are reportedly holding out for a bid in excess of £15m, having rebuffed an initial £13m offer from the Blues.
Xabi Alonso represents a cut-price alternative to the combative Colombian, with the Express claiming the Spaniard is ‘surplus to requirements’ at Madrid.
However, this is a highly conflicting story with regards to previous reports, as at no point have any rumours surfaced that claim Xabi Alonso is being shown the door by Real.
In fact, Real are known to hold the midfielder in high esteem, with manager Carlo Ancelotti praising Alonso in December, and stating that he hoped the player and club could resolve his contract issue,
“I am not worried about his contract situation because I believe everyone knows he is important,” Ancelotti told Tiempo Extra,
“The club is talking with him about a new deal, I hope he is happy to renew it and stay here. His renewal would be the best Christmas present.”
While there can be little doubt that Xabi Alonso is considering his future at the club, and could well leave Real this month (as we discussed last month), the Express’ report looks to be wide of the mark.
If Real are looking to sell this January, then it will surely be only so as not to lose the player for nothing come the summer, rather than the player being unwanted in the Spanish capital.
What do you think? Where will Xabi Alonso be next month? Let me know in the comments below…