Serie A Transfer Rumours Update
Many players in Juventus, Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina are waiting for the final result of the appeals process before they decide on their futures.
One thing is clear though – no one wants to play in Serie B, and no one wants to miss out on Europe. When push comes to shove, and if the big European clubs come calling, these players will be happy to jump ship.
The biggest benefactors of the Italian scandal are going to be Real Madrid and Inter Milan. A conspiracy theorist could point at Calderon for having a hand being leaking those tapes – such is the leverage Madrid are set to gain out of this mess.
Madrid are set to snap up Cannavaro (who is as good as gone) and Kaka (who, in a stunning turnaround, has said that he is ok with the transfer as long as Milan are satisfied) looks good to go as well. These two are players for whom Calderon and Capello would willingly throw money for, and the transfer fees would not be an issue.
For Inter, Toni’s deal is as good as done, especially after Fiorentina’s relegation. If that stays, Toni should move to Inter in a couple of weeks. Vieira is also another player that Inter are after, although it is important to note that Vieira has already been in talks with Manchester United and that since no deals would be likely before the 25th, United still have a chance to get Vieira, assuming that they still want him. Since Inter will be able to pay more than United, we could be outpriced for a 30-year old Serie B player by a club that hasn’t won its domestic league since 1989.
Buffon, Thuram, Zambrotta, Emerson, Nedved, Camoranesi, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic and Del Piero are other rumoured to exit as well.
- Buffon could head to Milan instead of Arsenal.
- Thuram just wants to leave, and at his age would be happy at Arsenal (and may yet end up going there) or Manchester United, although the latest link points to Barca (unlikely).
- Zambrotta is hot property. Chelsea and Madrid are both after him, and although Barca haven’t spoken they may move for him as well. This would be an interesting transfer to watch.
- Emerson is reportedly one of the holding midfielders Capello has on his list but is a backup. He would probably be heading to Spain.
- Nedved is being courted by Tottenham, who are building a side to help them break into the top four of the Premiership.
- Camoranesi is a ‘backup winger’ for many top sides, but this one’s wide open and he may end up at Inter.
- Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic and Del Piero are all being courted by sides shorn of strikers (Liverpool / Newcastle) or sides who are looking to become mini-Madrids (Spurs / Lyon).
From Milan, Gattuso and Pirlo are the latest departures mooted. Gattuso is being constantly linked to Manchester United and it seems that there has been a preliminary offer for the midfielder and Gattuso and his agent would be discussing it in the next week. Gattuso’s comment – “it would be a dream to play for Manchester United” – is cute, but ultimately worthless if we don’t get him.
Pirlo wants a move as well, but where he’d go is more important. Madrid would like to reunite Pirlo and Kaka in their midfield, but that would leave them needing a quality holding midfielder of the quality of Mascherano and Diarra.
You want more? Wait till the appeals are rejected and the list of clubs for Europe is finalised. 25th July will be the start of a very interesting 5 weeks for Italian football.
Football Expert? Prove it! Share your knowledge, tips and comments. Win cash prizes - £11,000 monthly! Join OLBG's free-to-enter tipping competition.