Mourinho confirms £50m striker will play for Chelsea this season

jos-mourinho-quiere-dar-salida-a-fernando-torres_76281

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has revealed that £50m flop Fernando Torres will remain at Stamford Bridge this season, insisting that he is comfortable with the three forwards he has, and that none of them will be leaving West London.

torres_2463382b

The Blues sold 21-year-old Belgian Romelu Lukaku to Everton yesterday for £28m, and with that, Mourinho has called an end to the selling of strikers at the Bridge, with Samuel Eto’o and Demba Ba having left the club earlier in the month.

Read more – Everton complete £28m Lukaku signing

“We have a good squad,” Mourinho told Sky Sports when asked about the need to adhere to the ‘homegrown rule’ enforced by the Premier League,

“The perfect squad would be with this 18 players, not 17 or 16, but rules are rules and we are working hard, even here, for not to have these kind of problems in the future.

“(We want) to have more English players in our squad which we are going to have in the future but in this moment we are still in the middle of this process.

“So at the moment we have to make a decision about one player not to be on that list.”

When asked if that player would be the much maligned Torres, who hit the headlines last week for yet another calamity miss in pre-season, Mourinho said that he would not be selling another striker:

“No. Three strikers is fundamental in a squad and we have three strikers; Fernando, Didier and Diego so one of them is not (going) for sure.” 

jos-mourinho-quiere-dar-salida-a-fernando-torres_76281

Chelsea player to pave way for Liverpool to sign €23m defender?
Serie A club confirms interest in Manchester United player

4 Comments

  1. Patrick Kachali @ Kitwe-Zambia 31 July, 2014
  2. dindara joseph 31 July, 2014
  3. chelseaguy419 31 July, 2014
  4. olowoyeye sunday 1 August, 2014