Luis Nani reveals Bayern’s Renato Sanches snubbed Man Utd move


Former Manchester United winger Luis Nani has claimed that his international team-mate Renato Sanches snubbed his potential move to Old Trafford in favour of joining Bayern Munich.

The 18-year-old midfielder moved to the Bundesliga champions earlier this summer in a deal worth £27.5 million and has since impressed with his performances in the ongoing Euro 16 in France.

Renato scored a first-half equaliser against Poland on Thursday to become the third-youngest player to score in the Euros, before converting from the spot-kick in the penalty shoot-outs to help Portugal reach the semi finals of the elite European competition.

It is reported that Man Utd scouted Renato last campaign for several occasions but the United manager at the time, Louis van Gaal, was not particularly convinced by the former Benfica starlet before ultimately losing him into the hands of Bayern Munich.

“Renato would have been a great signing for Man United. I have no doubts. But he had a choice and the choice he made was Bayern Munich,” said Luis Nani.

“I hope he has made a good choice and that he is happy in his career, but I think United will now know what a big player they have missed.

“Renato is a very confident player. He is very young, but he already has a great personality for the game. He isn’t scared to play in the big games and he isn’t scared to show his qualities against any opponent.”

Meanwhile Nani, who has also been impressive in the tournament, is linked with a move back to the Premier League with Stoke City thought to be interested and the 29-year-old insists he is open to the idea of returning to England.

“I like England, I like the football, and you never know what the future will bring,” said Nani. “One day you could be here, the next you’re over there, so let’s see.”

Nani enjoyed huge success during his seven-year spell with Man United, winning four league titles and one Champions League but has failed to win a single major trophy with Fenerbahce and appears poised to leave the Turkish side this summer.


Besiktas agree deal to sign Chelsea defender Kenneth Omeruo on loan
Official: Henrikh Mkhitaryan's Manchester United transfer confirmed