Dirk Kuyt’s proposed move to Inter Milan took a new twist this weekend after the Dutchman revealed that the European Champions had submitted a formal offer to Liverpool.
The 30-year-old, speaking to Dutch media, revealed that he was informed of the Italian giants’ faxed offer during the Reds’ Europa League game with Trabzonspor at Anfield on Thursday.
Kuyt sat out the 1-0 victory, with reports suggesting that Liverpool had been reluctant to scupper any potential move by cup-tieing the player.
“On Thursday night, during the Europa League game against Trabzonspor, the board of Liverpool informed me officially that they have received a fax from Inter”said Kuyt.
“You can call this a luxury situation for me now.”
Despite this news, there has been no suggestion from the player that he is eager to end his stay on Merseyside. Kuyt was keen to stress during the summer’s World Cup – in which he helped the Netherlands to the final – that he saw his future at Anfield.
“Of course I want to stay,” he said. “Liverpool is a great club with a great history.
“Unfortunately in my four years I haven’t won anything but hopefully in the future I will still have that chance.
“We will have to see what happens but hopefully the manager wants me to stay.”
Reds boss Roy Hodgson was quick to deny that Kuyt, along with fellow target Javier Mascherano, were bound for Italy, claiming on Friday that Inter president Massimo Moratti had informed him that no bids would be made for any Liverpool players.
“I spoke to Massimo Moratti on Wednesday about the fact that they are not going to buy any Liverpool players, and (Dirk) Kuyt comes into that category,” said Hodgson.
“I believe Inter were only interested in two of our players and they are not going to buy them. Moratti said they are not going to do that. Kuyt is not for sale.”
Nonetheless, Soccerlens understands that Inter submitted a cash-plus-player offer, with Nerazzurri boss Rafa Benitez eager to be reunited with the man he brought to Anfield from Feyenoord for £10million back in 2006.
Inter’s initial offer is thought to consist of £7.5m plus Nigerian forward Victor Obinna –valued by the Italians at around £7m. Liverpool have rejected this offer, but are said to be willing to engage in further talks.
Ghanaian midfielder Sulley Muntari and Brazilian winger Mancini have also been touted as potential makeweights in any deal, though it is thought that Hodgson and Liverpool would prefer a cash-only deal.
With only nine days left until the closing of the transfer window, Hodgson is still eager to bring in at least one new face – probably a centre-forward – and remains hopeful of hanging on to want-away midfielder Mascherano.
Liverpool have been linked with a host of strikers, with FC Twente star Bryan Ruiz the latest name to be touted, but Hodgson is well aware of the qualities, professionalism and versatility which Kuyt, who has scored 51 times in 201 appearances for the Reds, possesses, as well as the rapport he shares with the Liverpool support.