Chelsea Transfer Round-Up: Juan Mata heading to Barcelona?
Juan Mata is fast becoming the most sought-after commodity of the winter market, with a constant stream of rumours claiming that the unsettled Spaniard is looking to break out of West London to revitalise his stalled career.
From Manchester United to PSG, there is seemingly no end to the queue of potential suitors for the 25-year-old, and now heavyweights Barcelona have reportedly arrived on the scene.
According to Spanish newspaper ‘Sport‘, the La Liga giants have joined the throng, and could be willing to tempt Mata into ditching London for Catalonia.
It gets worse for Chelsea fans, who still adore the minute play-maker, with the news that Atletico Madrid may also be about to make a move.
The Daily Mirror reports that the high-flying Spanish side, who are singlehandedly attempting to break the Barca-Real monopoly of La Liga, are contemplating a loan move for Mata, with a view to sign him permanently at the end of the season.
The report adds that Mata’s father/agent is reportedly flying to London for talks with the Chelsea hierarchy, with his son ‘angry’ at his current plight.
Blues boss Jose Mourinho has insisted he wants the attacker to remain at Stamford Bridge throughout the winter,
The Portuguese said last week: “He works hard, and of course it is not an easy situation not to be playing every time. And if he does very well for us – not for him, but for us, which is the most important thing – I love it. I keep saying that I want him to stay. Today he trained in a fantastic way.”
Meanwhile, forgotten man Demba Ba has been linked with a move to Crystal Palace this month.
The Mirror claims that the Senegalese striker, who is third in the pecking order at Stamford Bridge, is wanted on loan by Tony Pulis’ Palace, with the Eagles looking to bring in some experienced names to aid their survival bid.
This does seem a little far-fetched however, with Mourinho insisting that he is happy with his three strikers. The woes of the Blues’ strikers has been obvious, but nothing would come of letting a third of their struggling strike-force leave, especially if they have no plans to replace it.
Finally, Liverpool and Chelsea are set to fall-out over the treatment of Victor Moses, with the future of Ryan Bertrand hanging in the balance.
Winger Moses is currently on a season long loan from Chelsea, but has been somewhat marginalised by Brendan Rodgers.
The Liverpool boss, who was a youth coach at Chelsea, is risking the healthy relationship he has with the Blues by ignoring the Nigerian, according to ‘The Daily Telegraph‘.
Rodgers has been backed up by Liverpool legend John Aldridge, who said in the North Wales publication, ‘Daily Post‘,
“The Nigeria international could have no complaints about being hauled off at half-time of Sunday’s 2-0 win over Oldham. He looked completely disinterested in that opening 45 minutes and gave the manager little option,” said Aldridge,
“There was no desire, no spirit. Maybe he’s lacking a bit of confidence or maybe he’s just unhappy because he’s played so little recently.”
It seems as though that Moses’ season-long loan may not run its course, with Aldridge adding,
“I don’t know whether Chelsea would agree to take him back as they’ve got a big squad, but it might be in everyone’s best interests if the loan is cancelled.”
Liverpool’s pursuit of Ryan Bertrand may be in danger due to the growing animosity. The left-back has been linked with a move away for some time, and while Liverpool had emerged as front-runners for his signature, the situation surrounding Moses may scupper the deal.
What do you think? Is the criticism of Moses warranted? What should Chelsea do about Mata? Let me know in the comments below…